Vilnius is the capital and largest city of Lithuania. Officially established in the 14th century. It is known as a multicultural city over time: Lithuanians, the Poles, Russians, Jewry, Belarussians and other nations live friendly among each other. Oldtown is a heart of Vilnius, which is the largest urban ensemble in Eastern Europe and is in the list of UNESCO heritage. Vilnius is an outstanding example of a medieval foundation which exercised a profound influence on architectural and cultural developments in a wide area of Eastern Europe over several centuries.
The current crosses were built in 1989. It was built to replace the one that had been removed by the Soviet authorities in the 1950s. It is on the Hill of Three Crosses, originally known as the Bald Hill in Kalnai Park.
The three crosses date back to the 17th century when three monks placed them there to pay tribute to a group of fellow monks who were martyred in the 14th century. According to the history books, seven monks were killed and seven were tied to wooden crosses and floated down the Neris River, with the instruction to return to the west where they came from.
How to reach:
When we walk backside to Vilnius Cathedral we will reach Bernardine Park. From that park Take an easy hike up the hill to see crosses towering above the city. This is another place to have a great view of the city.
Cathedral was built in the very centre of the city. Lithuanian King Mindaugas ordered the construction of the original cathedral in 1251. It is believed, that circular defensive tower of the Lower castle was built in the second part of the 14th century. It was rebuilt many times due to frequent fires, wars and unstable underground foundations. It is dedicated to Saints Stanislaus and Ladislaus, the church is the heart of Catholic spiritual life in Lithuania. In 1922, the Cathedral was granted the title of ‘Basilica’, by Pope Pius XI. The Cathedral and the belfry were thoroughly renovated from 2006 to 2008. Timings: 7 am to 7 pm, Entry is free. click here for official website
The surface of the bell tower is 52 m high (with a cross of 2.8 m – 57 m). In the historical sources, the bell tower was first mentioned in 1522 when the tower was to be repaired. 1598 The third floor of the eighth bell tower has been erected. It is having 6 bells. bell weighs 464 to 2595 kg.
In May-September, the Bell Tower will be open to visitors from 10 a.m. to 19 p.m. on weekdays and on Saturdays, in cold season – one hour shorter.
The castle was first mentioned in 1323. The first brick castle was completed in 1409 by Grand Duke Vytautas. The three-floor tower was rebuilt in 1933 by Polish architect Jan Borowski.
It is clearly visible from every place. From this place one can see a panorama view of the city of indescribable beauty and red roofs of the Old Town. We need to Climb up the hill to go the castle.
Open 10:00 – 21:00.
Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas was hunting in the woods of Šventaragis valley. The hunting was a success, but very tiring. The duke stayed there and spent a night. Gediminas had a dream that on top of the hill, where he had hunted down a Taurus that day: a large iron wolf was standing and howling hard and loud, like a hundred wolves. The Duke asked the mage Lizdeika to explain the dream. He explained that this was an omen indicating that he should build a city in this place, which would later become known around the world and would become the magnificent capital city of Lithuania.
Vincas Kudirka Square is a open air space in Vilnius Old Town, which was formed in the 19th century. Vincas Kudirka was a Lithuanian poet and physician and the author of both the music and lyrics of the Lithuanian National Anthem. He died on 16 November 1899, at age 40.
V. K. Square not only has a very interesting history, it also amuses with the variety of shows and leisure means, enjoy cultural events, or simply sit down in a quiet place surrounded by the trees and near to lot of shopping complexes.